Thursday, June 23, 2011

Yup, High Riding Bitches Have Feelings, Too.

But some people don't seem to know that. Sometimes teasing isn't teasing, it is mockery and derision, and can be very hurtful. Let me tell ya what my week has been like, 'mos. 
Being an upper level IT student, my classes are very small, and the same people are in pretty much all of them. One said person is an obnoxious, abrasive, forty year old, balding baby who acts like a toddler in a sandbox. 

He has decided that he thinks my activism and the gay plight are funny. He also let the whole class know how funny he thinks it is. And of course the class laughed hysterically.


This fool has been taking shots at me every chance he gets, in the middle of our Networking Security class, for weeks. For, example, when we were talking about hackers making viruses in order to force software developers to fix holes in programs, this douche said, "Sounds like something a protester would do." Of course, the class laughed. Then, Tuesday night, which was the last straw, when were talking about the expense of getting Verisign Network Certificates
( I am sure you have all seen the logo on secure sites, but in case not, here it is).


 for businesses, another outburst: "But activists have to pay double."

Now, I am not one to take easy offense, homos, but, keep in mind this has been going on for weeks, and, furthermore, I have been forced to relive the worst bullying moments of my life, being the butt of all jokes for one reason or another K-12, not the least of which was being gay. 


Now, mos, I am not a mean person. You know all know this. But, I am also not one to take bullshit. I put up with this asshole's BS for four weeks, and I have finally had enough. So I emailed him. I am going to share the exchange with you, sans email addresses(no matter how tempting it might be to post them). My words are in purple, his response is in green.

Don't read into it! 
I joke in general terms about your activism; you seem to always bring up the gay issue. 
Your sensitivity gives you the perception that you are the butt of everyone's jokes, when in fact, people like me respect you for your passion. 
I will agree that I might have been out of line, but to think it was malicious is completely naive. 
See you in class.

------------------------------------
At 9:01 PM on Tuesday, June 21, 2011, Shannon Barber 

it was funny the first few times. No longer. I don't appreciate your forcing me to relive being the butt of everyone's jokes like I was forced to endure for so long. furthermore, the fact that you enjoy 1100+ rights and protections that I and millions of other LGBT Americans do not under the letter of the law is not funny.The fact that people are still killed for being gay is not funny. The fact that I have been gay bashed more times than I care to mention is not funny. The teen suicides of LGBT youth are not funny.The fact that I have been harassed for being gay for the duration of much of my life is not funny. Please do not make fun of something that is a very serious issue indeed. I don't expect you to give a damn, but please respect the fact that not everyone has the same rights that you do, and that some of us are working very hard to change it. I might just be another crazy activist or a "piece of work" to you, but I hope to be so much more to so many people. Think about that, instead of making jokes about something that is hardly funny.



Frankly, I question whether or not this turd has any respect for me, and I totally didn't appreciate the condescending tone of the email. So I emailed my instructor, telling him to control the childish bastard speak with the gentleman about his behavior. He talked to me first, read the email exchange, and agreed that said classmate was being insensitive. He is a totally not homophobic cool ass Jamaican dude who used to work for Microsoft. 



So, he's all about being open minded. 

So, dykes, am I being oversensitive? Have I been overreacting? Taking the scars and anguish of past experiences and projecting them onto him? What do you think? Either way, his behavior was uncalled for and inappropriate for a classroom setting. Furthermore, homophobic antics in schools, both at the K-12 and college levels, is still an unbelievably huge issue, and, until that changes, each person who engages in said bullying, in jest or otherwise, needs to be made an example of so that Every.Single.Student knows that it will not be tolerated under any circumstances. Whataya think, queers? Amirite?





2 comments:

  1. Yes, you are right. I am an instructor and the college level and I would have put a stop to it immediately. I get a feel for if it's truly just teasing or if feelings are getting hurt. It never should have gotten this far.
    Good luck and I hope it gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The instructor nipped it. Pretty sure the dude is pissed, but I don't care. He was out of line.

    ReplyDelete