Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Queer By Choice? I Don't Think So.

Alrighty, mighty 'mosexuals, here's something that is sure to make your hair blow back, no matter how much product you have in it today. 
Floating all over the internet the last couple of days have been posts regarding a most controversial statement made by one fading star of an actress, Cynthia Nixon. 

In a recent speech, which she called quote, "an empowerment speech to a gay audience," Ms. Nixon said the following:


"I gave a speech recently, an empowerment speech to a gay audience, and it included the line ‘I’ve been straight and I’ve been gay, and gay is better.’ And they tried to get me to change it, because they said it implies that homosexuality can be a choice. And for me, it is a choice.
I understand that for many people it’s not, but for me it’s a choice, and you don’t get to define my gayness for me. A certain section of our community is very concerned that it not be seen as a choice, because if it’s a choice, then we could opt out. I say it doesn’t matter if we flew here or we swam here, it matters that we are here and we are one group and let us stop trying to make a litmus test for who is considered gay and who is not.
As you can tell, I am very annoyed about this issue. Why can’t it be a choice? Why is that any less legitimate? It seems we’re just ceding this point to bigots who are demanding it, and I don’t think that they should define the terms of the debate. I also feel like people think I was walking around in a cloud and didn’t realize I was gay, which I find really offensive. I find it offensive to me, but I also find it offensive to all the men I’ve been out with."
Now, my fellow muff munchers, far be it from me to define anyone's sexual orientation for them, for, at the end of the day, that is up to the individual, and, more importantly, we should celebrate our queerness and our LGBT pride, no matter what form it might come in. But...needless to say, the steam is coming out of my ears on this one. Empowerment speech, she says?

As far as I am concerned, this was anything but empowering. Quite the opposite, in fact.
There is so much wrong with this bullshit, dykes, that I don't even know where to begin. 
Firstly, she just, from a platform for millions to listen to her spew the myth we have all worked so hard to get rid of, completely trivialized the struggles of those of us where were tortured, made to hate ourselves, made to think there was something wrong with us, and validated the viewpoints of people who wish to deny us our rights. We were BORN THIS WAY. 

And we have worked very hard to make sure the heteros understand this, and here comes this bitch destroying all that by opening her fat trap and spewing this false bullshit.

This is just OMFG COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE.


Secondly, if she can trot out this dangerous, antiquated load of crap and actually believe it, there is absolutely no fucking way this woman is a bonafide homosexual.

End of story. Because the very notion of *choosing* to be attracted to, date, have sex with, and marry someone of the same or opposite sex would sound, frankly crazy to anyone who is either straight or gay. This chic needs to wise up, realize her statements are dangerous and offensive to those of us who are actually gay, and stop speaking for a community to which she does not belong and stop co opting labels that are hardly hers to take. 

Wise up Cynthia. You're bisexual. That's totally cool. Embrace it and accept that you aren't gay.

And hey, look at it this way, you still get to be queer.

2 comments:

  1. I had to Google to find out who she was. She should try Googling "bisexual" some time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. I mean, don't get me wrong. I understand that there are a lot of issues between lesbians and bisexual women. But for her to say something like this undermines us in a big way- "us" meaning TRUE Kinsey 6 homosexuals.

    Then again, this woman has said lots of weird shit over the last 7 or 8 years...including calling her female partner a "short man with boobs." So, while not surprised, I am still a bit miffed.

    ReplyDelete