Wednesday, September 7, 2011

When You Encounter the Nasty Where You Least Expect It

And no, we are not talking about sex here. We are talking about the ultimate nasty: bigotry. 
On my new site, The New Gay Social Network, one of the members there blogged what pretty much amounted to a transphobic rant, and I actually cried, because I lost a friend yesterday. 

But, after that initial shock and hurt, I got angry, lesbos. I mean like seeing Red. I am going to post what I blogged in response, and I think it should be pretty self explanatory what she said, when you are done reading this. Here goes:

The Worst Kind of Bigotry is...

Published by: Shannon on 6th Sep 2011 | View all blogs by Shannon
Edit Blog Delete Blog
When you express it against your own kind. Yes, I am going to be childish and bitch in my first blog entry on this brand new, shiny website, and answer a blog entry that I found most disturbing.
 A member right here expressed the same bigoted BS that we hear from straight people all the time: essentially, "why do we have to be so gay?!?!?" It was pretty much what amounts to a rant against ultra femme gay men and really butch lesbians. I have a problem with this because well, it is, essentially, a rant bordering on transphobia. It was wrought with disgust, disdain, and shame with people who fall outside that boring ass heteronormative gender binary representing our community. Her argument? People who view us that way will not vote in favor of our rights. Well, newsflash, you StockHolm Syndrome suffering bigot: THE PEOPLE WHO FEEL THAT WAY WERE NEVER ANYTHING BUT RAGING HOMOPHOBES ANYWAY. THEY WERE NOT VOTING IN YOUR FAVOR IN THE FIRST PLACE. BUTCH, FEMME, IN BETWEEN- DOESN'T MATTER. WE'RE ALL (pardon the language) FAGS AND DYKES TO THEM.

Also, attitudes like that are the reason people think it's ok to attack people for "looking gay" or "acting gay." As someone who has been a victim of such an attack, I take extra special offense to this bigoted bullshit, especially coming from one our own. It is dangerous ignorance at it's worst. 

So get off your high horse, quit enjoying your heterosexal privilege (and make no mistake, the less "obviously gay" among us definitely enjoy that privilege) and remember that it was people like those of us, butch lesbians, flamboyant gay men, trans people, drag queens- you know, those people who you spewed such disdain and disgust at in what is supposed to be a safe haven for ANYONE in the queer community, including those you hate so much and wish would go away- who are the reason you have the rights you DO have. You should be thanking them, not condemning them.

Also, get a lesson in LGBT history. It's obvious you know absolutely nothing about your own people. Shameful.
 
Now, dykes, we all know Shannon has OMFG ANGER ISSUES.
She likes to rant and rave. Putting people on blast is a bit of a hobby. That temper often goes into high gear, and woe betide you if you are the target of her wrath. However, here, I feel totally justified. What do you think? Was I? Or is this just another case of my flying off the handle? Apologies for the lack of pretty pictures and snappy quips, this time, 'mos. Promise to make it up to ya. But this is a serious issue, and I don't want to take away from the content.

2 comments:

  1. I never understand how a group based on inclusion can be so exclusive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't get it either. Willful ignorance pisses me off anyway, but coming from the people who, above all others, should know better is even worse.

    ReplyDelete